Fighting For Your Rights Is
Fighting For Your Future

Frequently Asked Questions About Criminal Law In Illinois And Wisconsin

When you have been charged with a crime, you and your loved ones will have many questions. Because every case is unique, the most reliable way to get accurate information is to talk with an experienced criminal defense attorney like Kevin Malia. Kevin has the background and knowledge to answer your questions and advise you on your situation.

Below are answers to some of the questions that Kevin commonly hears from clients:

What should I do if I’m arrested?

You have rights, and the best way to protect them is to be represented by a dedicated, experienced attorney like Kevin Malia. You, or a loved one, should contact an attorney as soon as possible to ensure that you are treated fairly and to protect your rights.

What is the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor?

A felony is the most serious type of criminal offense, and if you are convicted, it can potentially result in a prison sentence. Examples of violent felonies are armed robbery, aggravated battery, and murder. Nonviolent felonies can include theft, damage to property or drug-related charges.

A misdemeanor offense is less serious than a felony but can also result in serious consequences. Some examples of misdemeanor offenses are: battery, domestic battery, retail theft and disorderly conduct.

Regardless of the type of crime you are charged with, being represented by an experienced attorney is important.

Should I take my case to trial?

If you are accused of something you didn’t do, the only way to clear your name and protect your freedom may be to take your case to trial. If so, you need an experienced trial attorney that knows how to fight your case where it matters most, in the courtroom.

Should I take a plea?

A majority of criminal cases are settled through negotiated pleas. If you are facing criminal charges, you need an experienced lawyer that can help you evaluate whether a plea deal is in your best interest, and, if so, has the knowledge and experience to negotiate the best deal for you.

What if I don’t think I got a fair trial?

If your rights were violated during the course of your trial, then you may have a case for an appeal. The appeal process is complicated and time sensitive. It is not something that you should pursue without the help of an attorney experienced in handling post-conviction matters.

Is my criminal record permanent?

Not necessarily. Depending on the charges on your record and when those cases took place, you may have the ability to have your record expunged or sealed. To pursue this option, contact a lawyer who has experience in this area of the law. Attorney Kevin Malia has extensive experience helping clients clear their records.

Do Not Face Criminal Charges On Your Own

Criminal charges can have serious consequences for both you and the people who love you. You need an experienced attorney willing to fight for you. Contact the Law Offices of Kevin P. Malia, for a free consultation. Call 847-852-7373 or use this email form.